Sunday, March 11, 2007

Selection Show Commentary

It's time for the 1st annual NCAA selection show diary. I tried getting in touch with SeargentSuj but he's nowhere to be found. No matter, I have my UNLV hoodie and a bowl of chips and guac and I'm ready to roll.

2:39 Kansas just finished off Texas in overtime. That should wrap up a #1 seed for them. I'll probably pick them to make the final four but they've burned me many many times in the past.

2:43 Seth Davis just made his first stupid comment of the afternoon talking about the 19 year old NBA rule. Now Clark Kellog is yelling and Greg Gumbel appears to be scared.

2:45 Joe Lunardi just gave us his last 4 teams in. I don't care, none of them will do much. Why are we spending so much time talking about Old Dominion? Will any of us remember Old Dominion by next Saturday?

2:49 Hey Nick Fazekas is coached by Jimmy Kimmel!

2:50 John Calipari just called his team great. Really? They don't do much well besides jump. Did he just call Seth Davis a nazi sympathizer?

3:00 Alright here we go. Who are the #1 seeds? I say Kansas, UCLA, UNC and Florida. Wait I'm forgetting someone. Probably Ohio St. And the real #1s are Florida, UNC, Ohio St, and Kansas. That makes sense. Looks like UCLA really blew it when they shit the bed on Thursday.

3:04 Here's Jim and Billy. Prepare to be annoyed. Jim tells me that Florida is the story of the tournament. How about we let the game be played before deciding that. I'm sure he already has a corny line ready for when they win it all. I now give you a couple classic Nantz lines:

"And Cleaves has restored the Magic in East Lansing"
"It started in March, ended in April and belonged to May"

Ugghhh

3:09 Ok the Midwest
1.Florida 2.Wisconsin 3.Oregon 4.Maryland

Hey Old Dominion got the #12 seed against Butler. Perhaps we will care about ODU for at least a couple of days. Sarge's Maryland team got the #4 seed. Not too bad but I'm not that high on them. UNLV gets a #7 against Georgia Tech. Ouch, I don't like that matchup. This bracket looks like a cakewalk if Florida decides to show up. Otherwise, who else is out there? Maybe Oregon? ehhh. I like them better than Wisconsin though.

3:17 Here's the West
1.Kansas 2.UCLA 3.Pitt 4.Southern Illinois

The Kentucky/Villanova winner looks like fodder for Kansas. I don't see Kansas losing on the first weekend. UCLA stayed out west, perhpas that will be an advantage for them. Wow, Duke as a #6 seed. I don't think I've ever seen them seeded so low. Gonzaga and Indiana will have a rematch from one of the worst games from last year. If the zags win, they could have another rematch with UCLA. Who'll cry this year? Derek Ravio? I'd like that. If Kansas does lose early this region looks wide open. Could Pitt's big guys expose UCLA? They might have a shot at winning this region.

3:23 And now with the East
1.UNC 2.Georgetown 3.Washington St. 4.Texas

The Marquette/Mich St winner could give Carolina a tough game. USC got a 5? That seems high but they're a solid team. Texas at #4 across from UNC could be a great Sweet 16 game. Christ this is a tough region. Seth Davis just called Oral Roberts to beat Wash St. I think they lose to Vanderbilt but if they coug it in the first round the boys of WUWS will be all the happier. Wow, I'm not sure UNC can get out of this bracket? I think there might be some upsets on the bottom half of the bracket leaving Georgetown to cruise to the Elite 8. Perhaps Georgetown/Texas for a chance at the final 4?

3:33 Finally the South
1.Ohio St 2.Memphis 3.Texas A&M 4.Virginia

I don't love Ohio St. but who's gonna beat them in their half of the bracket? Can the Nevada/Creighton winner beat Memphis? Ohh Texas A&M at 3, I like them. Ohhhh Louisville at #6, I like them too. I'm not too high on Ohio St so I'm gonna say either Louisville or Texas A&M comes out of the bottom half to beat the Buckeyes.

Ok they're done with the bracket. Looks like the ACC got 7 bids, no surprise there. The Pac-10 got 6 seeds. Nice job, too bad the Dawgs weren't one of them. NIT baby!

The mid majors didn't get a ton of bids. I don't care one bit. You know what I hate? Cinderellas. Waaaaaay overrated. It makes for boring games the second weekend. I want to see games like UNC/Texas, Kansas/UCLA or Texas A&M/Memphis. I don't want to see Creighton even though Nate Funke has a cool name.

Everyone is crying about Syracuse not making it. Why do all talking heads love Jim Boeheim so much? What does he do behind the scenes to always get so much love? I thought they sucked this year so I'm not upset that they're out.

Billy Packer just said that he's seen Winthrop a lot of times this year. Fucking liar.

3:47 Time to grill the committee chair. This is usually great. Billy and Jim make retarded points while some sacrificial lamb sits there like a deer in headlights. He's telling us the Kansas would have gotten the #1 seed regardless if they lost today. He's telling us how hard his job was. Shit, I'd gladly sit around and pick basketball teams to be in a tournament then go to dinner. That sounds like fun. Billy is congratulating the guy? What happened there? That was a real disappointment.

Ok, the brackets are set. Later this week, we'll have our draft and bracket pick ems. If we're lucky we'll get some field reports from the Mandalay sports book. Enjoy the tournament.

7 comments:

East Coast Bias said...

Shit, with commentary like this I'm starting to believe we deserve to have our own blog.

Swimfan said...

Ouch, UNLV vs. GT in the first round. One of us is going to be unhappy. I hope it's you.

DIII Player said...

I know, i'm not happy about that matchup. on espn they just showed a stat that UNLV hasn't won a tourney game since 1991. that's terrible. the analyst then went on to say that the rebs have a problem shooting the ball straight. that's usually a bad thing.

Unknown said...

Thurs at the DIII Palace?? I say yes.

DIII Player said...

The DIII palace is always open with games shown in beautiful analog.

East Coast Bias said...

Party at the DIII palace? East Coast Bias may have to make a special west coast appearance just to watch Raivio cry.

SergeantSuj said...

Great commentary! You probably did better without me and my massive hangover. I don't think I woke up until I heard John Calipari call Seth Davis a nazi.